It can be tough to stay focused at work, especially when you are working from home. There are too many distractions around us. But it’s important to stay concentrated so that we can get our work done efficiently and effectively.
Here are six tips to help you stay focused at work:
1. Take breaks often to move your body and get some fresh air. This will help refresh your mind and make it easier to concentrate. Once you’ve have created a routine that works for you, make sure your friends, family, and clients are in the loop. Just because you work for yourself doesn’t mean you’re free to take calls, be social, or run errands at all hours of the day. Set office hours, let people know what they are, and stick to them. Setting boundaries will help you maintain your schedule and your sanity.
2. Set a specific time for checking email and social media. Checking these things constantly can be a major distraction, so try to limit yourself to specific times during the day. While you don’t have to deal with loud coworkers sitting next to you, hallway meetings outside your office, or pop-in conversations with your boss, noise can still be a distraction when you work for yourself. If neighborhood, household or co-working noise is a problem, try listening to instrumental music or use a white noise app to filter out distracting sounds.
3. Stick to a routine – establish a set of rituals that help you focus. This could include things like turning off all notifications, working in a specific space, or listening to music while you work.
4. Create an environment that is free from distractions. Make sure your workspace is organized and that there are no temptations lurking around that could pull you away from your work. Limiting distractions while you work is often easier said than done, especially if you work from a home office. To help minimize distractions, make sure your workspace is clean and organized so you can quickly find what you’re looking for—digital or non-digital. Your work environment should also be welcoming and comfortable. Create a space that will inspire you to get to work and make doing so easy.
5. Practice mindfulness or meditation to clear your mind. If you find your mind constantly wandering, these practices can help you focus on the task at hand.
6. Drink plenty of water and eat healthy foods to stay energized. It’s hard to concentrate when you’re feeling tired or run down, so make sure you take care of yourself both physically and mentally.